Train your brain for avalanche terrain and learn practical tools you can use on the mountain. //
This online course dives into the Human Factors (HF) of avalanche terrain using the concepts of 'Crew Resource Management' (CRM) from the aviation industry.
You will learn how to use CRM to understand human vulnerabilities and develop strategies to help make the right decisions and improve safety when working in avalanche terrain.
- Four sections to work through at you own pace: Crew Resource Management, Human Factors theory, CRM Behaviours and CRM Tools.
- 6-8 hours of material including videos, audio interviews and links to further reading.
- Optional exercises allowing comments and discussion. Optional and ungraded quiz allowing you to test your knowledge.
- Accredited as continuing professional development (CPD) for the British Association of Mountain Guides (BMG), British Association of International Mountain Leaders (BAIML) and the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI).
- Non-Technical Skills
- Leadership (4:39)
- Situational Awareness
- Decision Making
- Cognitive Readiness (Audio 25:38)
- Case Study #2: Take-Off with contamination on the wings prevented by cabin crew (Audio 15:28)
- Case Study #3: Avalanche at Cherry Bowl
- Case Study #4: Avalanche on Aonach Mor
- Further Reading
Hi, I’m James Thacker
I am used to working at the sharp end of HF in avalanche terrain, as a mountain guide, instructor and avalanche observer.
I have put this course together to promote HF and train your brain for avalanche terrain... Why? So we can enjoy safer days in the mountains.
Understand CRM in Industry
Crew Resource Management (CRM) is common in other industries such as aviation and healthcare. Understand how CRM can be used in avalanche terrain.
Threat & Error Management
Explore Threat and Error Management (TEM) in the context of the outdoor industry and learn how to trap errors and respond proactively to threats.
Learn the tools of the trade
Develop the non-technical skills that you need to train your brain for avalanche terrain.